CCD Agenda for August 3 2021
Mtg Call to order– Mohammed
Welcome of Speakers– Mohammed
- Andrew Maneval , candidate in special election to fill seat of Doug Ley
- Rep. Matt Wilhelm — Chair of Democratic Victory Campaign Committee of NHDP
Andrew Maneval Candidate in special election to replace Rep. Doug Ley
Campaign vision and update appreciation for CCD support and thanks to Doug Ley , and an honor ro run in his stead
Welcoming any and all help for this crucial campaign
Developments under the Repubilcan controlled House in NH illustrate the importance of this election :
- School vouchers: dreadful threat to funding for public education
- Firearms in public and open carry issues
- Wage issue and the potential for tipped workers to warm a fair living wage
- Immunization Freedom Bill
We need as many Dems as possible in Concord. We need to protect the right of every child to get a good public school education Move forward on health care, including reproductive rights for women and Civil Rights for all. Climate crisis — NEEDS to be tackled, real strategy, effective action happening ASAP. So many other issues. Tricky as this will be 3 way race– 1 Dem, 1Ind and 1 Republican. Need all to be involved. We need truth, science, accountability collaborative and thoughtful dedicated work needed
plan with NHDP
Get together to organize phone bank, canvassing plan details will be on CCD website
Wednesdays will be phone banking, Saturdays will be door2door canvassing
Primary: September 7
General: October 26
Kudos from Jay Kahn about Andrew’s credentials and experience
Andrew– striving for productive approach in the face of political realities
Dick Ames–Andrew has a great message, and a realist
Rep. Matt Wilhelm , DVCC Chair
Turnout is crucial , must not take this for granted–GOTV efforts much needed
DVCC solely dedicated to electing Dems to Concord — recruit, train and support candidates running for office across the state
Power point presented bt Matt Wilhelm posted on CCD website
GOAL 201 seats DEM House Majority
Very challenging year– tough with losses, campaigning during pandemic, etc
10 Recommendations from DVCC for moving forward:
- New name and Brand– Governance– setting up standing committees
- Messaging — priorities, alerts, etc.
- Candidate Support
- Frontline Program
- Staffing and Budget
- 10 year plan– Inspired by Stacy Abrams!
Q & A
Q: traindemocrats.org– can you tell us about it?
A: They provide barebone basics on training about 6 months ahead of a cycle, as well as virtual training throughout the year. A great resource, among many.
Q: Have you recruited any involved in the Sanders campaign? They ran a very effective and strategic campaign, including sweeping Rindge. Encourage DVCC to bring those folks into the fold. Use of strategy from Bernie campaign would really crank it and be a great opportunity
A: Not recruiting where there is an incumbent but we also want local committees to bring forth candidates
Q: Are we considering building on momentum of under 40 excitement and a wider variety of candidates to run?
A: Trouble of existing limits to serving — Concord in mid week etc
Diversity representing the state– younger , older, LBGTQ, different types of Dems to run.
Comment: Lets get someone with less experience with canvassing to join us– use the imminent canvassing for Andrew as a training ground.
Senator Jay Kahn– 3 major issues
- Well prepped workforce– educated, prepared etc.
- Healthcare– access to services
- Low and moderate income property tax issues
Storm related issues in western NH — July 17-18, southern CHeshire County NH
Sullivan County last week
People need help immediately
FEMA process is 60 days, not well organized
No relief for small business either ‘
Future planning needed to prep for storms yet to happen
SWCS for low income,and assistance for prop owners who landlord lower income places
SBA relief source for small business
DOT working on fill/patch, but not an enduring solution
Work is being done to secure relief as quickly as possible
Additionally — Many bills are ready for Governors’ desk, about 40 bills
Announcement from Sue Hay– group will gather at Library to express support Planned Parenthood at Executive Council Wednesday morning
Announcement : Going forward CCD will reach out to electeds and town chairs to gather any requests for time on upcoming meeting agenda, vs, asking in the moment.
CCD Sub-committee reports
- Treasurer– Shaun Filiault
- Just under $2600 $600 in donations in the last month– and dinner will be a major fundraiser – $40 in expenses this past month.
- ActBlue set up — people encouraged to donate– sustaining donations in particular
- Fundraising — Sue Hay
- Spaghetti dinner — location, speaker, caterer unclear due to pandemic issues
- Possibly KSC, or Greek Church, or virtual or hybrid– much still to be determined
We will have a silent auction– at the dinner
Event Date is sure to be 9/18
- Communications — Natalie Quevedo
- Please share our posts–fb, instagram, will be starting a tiktok presence
- Any events you’d like to post, contact us.
Andrew’s departure leaves an opening for a delegate role on the CCD Committee. Send us email with nomination, NHDP will provide support and guidance .
For September meeting:
Chris Coates to present in Sept
Joe Schapiro to speak on dental benefit plan